Yoni is the Sanskrit word for “sacred space” & “source of all”; vagina, pussy, womb.
What is a Yoni steam?
- It is an ancient practice of sitting/squatting over a warm steaming pot of medicinal herbs.
- The idea is that the steam helps improve the female reproductive system while offering numerous benefits to both the physical and spiritual health.
- The yoni steam is a natural detox that helps release stored emotions, detoxify the womb and body, as well as help, unlock powerful creative energy.
- It is not used for cleaning the Yoni seeing as though our Yonis are self-cleaning.
What are the benefits?
- Help pulls toxins out of the body.
- Alleviates abdominal pain/pressure.
- Relieves menstrual cramps.
- Tightens the Yoni/vagina.
- Aids in healing hemorrhoids.
- Helps alleviate vaginal odor.
- Regulates the menstrual cycle and PMS.
- Helps with aligning chakras.
- Mood stabilization.
- Helps with anxiety.
- Helps get rid of a yeast infection.
- Helps with female lubrication.
- Balances PH levels.
- Stimulates healthy sexual energy.
When should I steam?
- I recommend 1-3 times per month. (I like to do mine twice before my menstrual cycle and once after, but follow what resonates with your spirit.)
- Before/After your period.
- After birth to aid with healing. (In my culture we do this after every birth, and it works wonders.)
- After a sexual experience.
- After a miscarriage. (This is a vulnerable time, and the warm medicine helps remove stagnant emotion.)
- Before and during menopause.
- If anxiety, stress, or life is getting to you, and you need a mental cleanse.
Who shouldn’t Yoni steam?
- Pregnant women or suspecting pregnant women.
- If you do not have clean equipment and clean water.
- If you have a severe yeast infection. (Heal the yeast infection first then steam.)
- If you have any type of IUD.
- If you are currently on your period. (Can use herbs for tea and baths instead.)
- If you have open wounds or active infections.
What supplies will I need for steaming?
- Commonly used herbs: Rosebuds, Oregano, Marigold, Basil, Mugwort, Rosemary, Lavender, Motherwort, and Calendula, to name a few. Make sure to research their properties and make a blend that is best for you. Or purchase my already made blend from Bare By Joli on Instagram (@barebyjoli).
- DO NOT USE ESSENTIAL OILS. (They are too powerful for our Yoni’s soft tissue.)
- Choose one of these thrones:
- A yoni seat.
- A clean, safe pot.
- A heat resistant/metal bowl.
- Warm fuzzy socks.
- A warm comfy blanket.
- Optional: a journal, love candles, sage stick, Palos Santos, and high-vibrational music.
Yoni steaming steps:
- Bring about 8 cups of spring/filtered water to a soft boil. After the water is boiled, put it in your designated throne of choice.
- Add ¼ – 1 cup of herbs into your water and let steep. (Depending on what level of potency you are trying to achieve.)
- Cover the herbs and let sit for 5 minutes.
- While you wait for the herbs to steep (yes just like tea) grab all your supplies needed and get ready to sit.
- Sit on your throne and wrap yourself up to trap in the steam. Make sure to be naked from the waist down except for the warm fuzzy socks. (Treat it like a personal mini sauna.)
- Steam anywhere from 15-30 minutes. This is the perfect time to journal, meditate, and massage your womb. Spend this time by yourself.
- Once you are done steaming, lay down and enjoy that peaceful sleep, because honey you’re worth it. The next day put the herbs back into the Earth and thank God for whatever is on your heart.
Jolie’s I will leave you with this, I have been yoni steaming for over three years now, and it has changed my life drastically. I went from having “killer cramps,” long/heavy periods, and being straight miserable a week every month. To shorter/lighter periods, less to no cramps, and a happy, positive attitude towards my womb and life. I sell Yoni steams, and you can find me on Instagram @barebyjoli. I have spent years researching and perfecting a blend that helps with anxiety, depression, self-confidence, trauma, pain, vaginal disorders, and other medical issues targeting the womb. I am such a warrior for us women and our healing; I love us for real.